Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Skipping the CD-ROM Buring

I went to Microsoft Developer's Network Academic Alliance and downloaded an ISO of Microsoft's new web publishing software (Expression) because I did not want to burn CD Rom.

I went to sourceforge.net and searched for "Mount ISO " . There is a piece of software called 7-zip that allows you to read an ISO and extract the files.

Why this software package? It had over 25 million downloads and the rating was very high.

It is important, as IT professionals to look at costs and try to go with free software whenever possible along with considering the total cost of ownership.

Training is a cost that is often overlooked. We tend to think that "They can pick it up on their own" and forget that a lot of users have trouble with new software. Training is valuable part for them. For example: My wife's company just went to Office 2007. She had a few rough spots, but managed to get through it. I rate her computer skills higher than the average user. (She is able to easily manage her Sprint card and a complex VPN software on her own.) The lesson? Don't forget the training.

Click here for a link to 7-zip.

1 comment:

QT said...

7-Zip is my favorite compression manager, it handles a lot of file types and has it's own compression method (.7z) that uses a very efficient and fast compression algorithm. For mounting CD's in a virtual drive, I personally use Daemon Tools (the Lite version is free, comes with adware that you can choose not to install during setup), I use it all the time and have never had any issues with it.