Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Can’t connect remotely to SQL 2005


Error Message and Symptoms

I could not get to a SQL server. I was getting this error when I tried to connect. See the picture in the next post.

Gathering Information

I Googled the error message and I found that you need to configure your firewall if you have configured for remote connections. Server 2008 default install has a firewall.

Hypothesis

If I open the correct ports, I should be able to connect.

Procedures (This is for Server 2008)


I did the following:

1. Click on Start.
2. Right click and select properties on Network
3. In the network sharing center select the firewall (lower left hand corner).
4. In the Windows firewall window select change settings.
5. Click on the exceptions tab.
6. Click on add port.
7. Named the port SQL, and enter 1433 as the port
8. Click on Okay.

Results

This worked. I was able to connect to SQL server in the building. The server is behind a external firewall so it will not work outside.


No comments: