Monday, October 8, 2007

Who Am I?

My involvement with IT began because I was publishing and printing newsletters as a public relations professional in the early 1980s. Graphic artists and typesetters began showing me how they could do their work on Apples. I was hooked. I slowly began moving my paste-up and layout to computers. By 1994, I was more into computers than public relations so I took a position managing the desktop publishing and computer rentals at Kinko's in Utah. I have worked as a Help Desk Manager, Network Engineer, and Networking instructor since then.

My technical expertise is in network engineering and database administration. I hold certifications from Novell and Microsoft. My Cisco certification has expired. My consulting work focused on network engineering and database administration. I have done large directory services designs and small database installations.

I am currently a college instructor in Business Information Systems at a college in Utah. I manage all the textbook, courses, and part time instructors. I also teach a full time load. I focus on hands on labs and service learning and I really try to avoid the sage on the stage approach.

My college is focused on market driven skills programs so we offer Applied Associates degrees in accounting, information systems, interior design, medical assisting, and administrative assistants.

I am currently enrolled in an IT Management PhD program at Capella. My goal is to move to a university and you have to a PhD at that level. I earned a bachelor's in Journal ism and Mass Communications in 1981 and a master's in Training in 1983.


 

No comments: