Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Basic Programming

I am trying to make a switch in my core technical skill: Networking to Programming. I am very comfortable with servers, routers and database administration but programming is something new.

I have found that the design skills I learned in networking transfer to programming. I really feel you have to design it right before executing.

I am training myself using a program called Alice. This is a movie making program that teaches core programming skills. You learn about objects, methods and messages while creating little stories. I can see students really liking it. They could create games or stories.

I can recommend a book titled Alice in Action (Adams 2007).

This might be away to teach students to visualize networks and learn programming.


 

References

Adams, J. Alice in Action. Boston: Thomson Course Technology, 2007.

 

No comments: