Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Outlook PST File too Large

Symptoms:

My Outlook .pst file was .7 gigs and was taking a while to backup. I felt that Outlook was also running slowly.

Gathering Information:

I used the Tools> Mailbox Cleanup > Mail size. I saw that my deleted folder was almost as large as my inbox.

Hypothesis:

H1. Permanently remove deleted items.

H2. Compress the file.

Results:

H1 was rejected. I right click on my recycle bin and emptied the folder. When I check the .pst file size it was still .7 gigs.

H2 was accepted. I found the steps at this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289987. The steps are:

How to Manually Start PST Compaction

  1. On the File menu, click Data File Management.
  2. Click to select your Personal Folder, and then click Settings.
  3. On the General tab, click Compact Now.
  4. Click OK, and then click Close.

Reflection:

The .pst file is a database file. Even when you delete items, the empty space is there making the file large. Most databases I work with, Access to SQL 2005, have a compact feature. This is standard maintenance for a databases and should be for outlook also.

6 comments:

Alex said...

I had this problem two years ago and for me advised one tool-microsoft outlook pst recover program,it can to do other operations,also softare has free status as far as I can see,utility can preview analysis results and make a decision, which messages should be extracted,it has two ways to recover your data: you can convert corrupted mailbox to another mailbox in *.pst format, it can be opened by any email client, compatible with Microsoft Outlook,compatible with all supported versions of Windows operating system, starting from Windows 98,can extract all files separately: *.eml, *.txt and *.vcf documents will be placed to any folder upon your choice.

Alexis said...

In case a lot errors in MS Outlook or similar problems I use-pst corrupted.This tool solves problems easy and quality.It is free as is known.Moreover program can too easily correct pst file and restore files with *.pst extension and convert it to an operative PST file or just unpack it as separate files with *.vcf, *.txt and *.eml formats.

Mike said...


Repair outlook pst file tools
to repair pst file, we recover and
repair pst file with its components
like e-mails with attachments,
contacts, notes, tasks, journals,
calendar entries etc. Our pst repair tool repair pst file compleatly. Its also recover deleted emails. Now repair pst file in just $49. The most economical pst repair tool to repair pst file. Visit now....
www.repair-outlook-pst-file.com
If you refer someone, you can get
20% of the amount.

Mohit Mathur said...

In oder to Compact PST File, you can try Stellar Compact PST software which Compress PST File to reduce its ize & hence saves it from corruption.

Unknown said...

Well, The problems and errors we hear and face with PST files and data, but software make it it easy for us to fix it. I use pst file size limit software and other software for different problems of my PST files.

David bird said...

I would like to suggest that you try EdbMails Outlook PST repair tool for recovering corrupted, damaged, orphaned and inaccessible PST files. With this tool, you can directly migrate the recovered PST files to Live Exchange/ Office 365 server. Read more:https://www.edbmails.com/pages/outlook-pst-recovery.html