Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Jetflash won’t Take Large File

My Jetflash 64 gb flash drive is stating: The disk in the destination drive is full. Insert a new disk to continue.

The disk is only half full and the file I am trying to copy is only 10 gigs.

Gathering Information

I have found out that the issue is the file format for the flash drive. The flash drive is formatted fat32 and that has a limit of 4 gigs for file sizes. See this link.


 

The error message indicates the disk is full not that file is too large.

Hypothesis


 

H0. Formatting the drive to be NTFS will fix the issue.


 

Results


 

H0 worked. I could not format the drive to NTFS on an XP PC but I could on Server 2008 PC.

Reflection

I found myself deleting all files and restarting the usb drive to try to fix this issue.  I assumed that the Windows has just lost track of the size of the disk. I wasted about 20 minutes on this before I did some research. Live search did not return the correct information but Google did. I need to not waste time before doing research.

I found the information on tansendusa.com very hard to find.  I don't think this website has been validated.  The webmaster seems to a lot of bells and whistles but it is really slow.

No comments: