Thursday, November 27, 2008

Can’t Connect Windows Mobile to Server 2008


 

Symptoms

My Samsung ACE phone has stopped synching to my laptop. I am not getting any error messages or anything. I did remove my Bluetooth card but it nevery worked with my phone. My laptop is a Dell 620 with Server 2008, 4 gigs of RAM.

Gathering Information

I found this document on Microsoft's site. I found out from this article that your should have a Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter in the network adapter in the device manager. I had a whole listing of unknown network adapters. You can download the new version of Microsoft Mobile Device Center 6.1 here.

The Microsoft document also stated that the firewall might be an issue and pointed me toward this document.

Hypothesis

I have the following hypothesis:

H1. Delete all the network adapters and reinstall the Windows Mobile device Center. (Failed)

H2. Turn off the firewall and it will work. (Successful)

Results

I think the issue was related to the firewall and the removal of a Bluetooth card. The firewall was also sent to block all inbound connections. This might have been related to my experiment with ZoneAlarm for a few days.

Reflections

I need to really stop install trail software on my personal PC. I have done this for years and it causes problems.

No comments: